Graduate Student Experience
We take great pride in ensuring that Berkeley’s 10,000+ graduate students, who represent 92 countries and all 50 states, have a full yet balanced experience during their time here.
Your gift in support of the Graduate Student Experience Fund is an investment in human and financial resources that facilitate:
- practical professional development and life skills resources – online and in person activities that help students succeed during graduate studies and beyond;
- work/life balance – to counter student self-reported impediments to wellness, including social and financial supports for parenting and family life; and,
- community connections – social and cultural activities that enhance psychological and physical well-being.
A groundbreaking survey of Berkeley Ph.D. alums spanning 40 years revealed that many students, particularly those in science and engineering, have for many years chosen careers outside of academia. Your support for our Graduate Professional Development work helps students recognize potential career paths, set and achieve professional development goals, and build skills vital to careers in education, industry, government, and more. Our partners include:
- Graduate Assembly
- Career Center
- Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs
- Graduate Division’s own Graduate Writing Center
- Graduate Student Instructor Teaching & Resource Center
- Student Mentoring And Research Teams (SMART)
Larissa Charnsangavej, Graduate Community Coordinator,
understands the unique needs of graduate students at Berkeley. Gifts made toward the Graduate Student Experience Fund will assist students with health education and wellness, housing, parenting support, community engagement, and professional development.